The West Miramar Sanitary Landfill is requesting a Solid Waste Facility Permit revision to increase the permitted height of the existing active portion of West Miramar Landfill (WML) 238-acre Phase II from 485 feet mean sea level (MSL) to 510 feet MSL which would extend the life of the landfill. No horizontal expansion is proposed. No change in daily throughput is proposed. No changes in operations other than those necessary to accommodate the vertical expansion are proposed.
An informational meeting will be conducted pursuant to the Title 27 California Code of Regulations, §21660.2 and under the provisions of California Executive Order 29-20, which suspends specific requirements of the Ralph M. Brown Act. During the current State of Emergency and in the interest of public health and safety, the meeting will be webcast. All questions and comments can be submitted online or by calling into the meeting. This informational meeting will be held to inform the public regarding the proposed solid waste facility permit application accepted for filing by the LEA to address a height increase and to update other activities conducted at the landfill. The public can comment on the LEA’s preliminary determination, but the meeting is strictly informational, and no official decision will be adopted at the meeting.
- Information Meeting Details: Thursday, May 28, 2020, from 5:30 p.m. to 7 p.m. This virtual meeting will be streamed live using Microsoft Teams. To participate in the meeting, visit https://bit.ly/may10meeting .
- Public Notice: For more information about the meeting, please view the Public Notice of Local Enforcement Agency (LEA) Public Information Meeting PDF at https://www.sandiego.gov/sites/default/files/2020-05-18_lea_meeting_notice.pdf
- Environmental Impact Report (EIR) and associated documents: “08/19/19 (Miramar) Miramar Landfill Service Life Extension/Height Increase Project No. 600213”, search Project No. 600213 on the City’s website at https://www.sandiego.gov/ceqa/final
- Background and related news from the SD Union Tribune: Plan to expand Miramar landfill gets key city approval at https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/communities/san-diego/story/2019-12-05/plan-to-expand-miramar-landfill-gets-key-city-approval
- Additional background information: https://www.universitycitynews.org/2019/10/27/miramar-landfill-city-dump-to-expand-despite-citys-zero-waste-policy/