While many of us have spent much of the Spring and Summer coping with the unknowns related to current events, UC Talks host Jemma Samala conducted several timely interviews with area leaders and professionals. UC Talks is a hyper-local podcast that features conversations, interviews, and news of University City. UC Talks is managed by University City Community Association (UCCA) and made possible, in part, by a generous Community Enhancement Program grant from the County Board of Supervisors. All recent interviews are currently available on UCCA’s UC Talks YouTube channel at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCufqxSNHCsaXQ0lc81e4jFQ
- Social Injustice: Liana Alston grew up in University City. As a black woman, after the killing of George Floyd, she felt compelled to share a post on Nextdoor entitled “From not-racist to anti-racist in 2020: some tools” which garnered lots of positive feedback. From there, she started a Nextdoor group called “UC Residents Against Racism!” UC Talks with Liana about growing up in University City, a predominantly white neighborhood, educating ourselves about the Black Lives Matter movement, and how, as an individual, you can find sources to help take your feelings about social injustice to action.
- For more information and resources, visit https://www.universitycitynews.org/2020/06/19/uc-talks-with-liana-alston-the-creator-of-the-nextdoor-group-uc-residents-against-racism/
- Mental Health: Mary Baker-Ericzen, Clinical Psychologist and UC resident, talks about what is mental illness, what to look for, and when to get help. Mary shares additional resources including a Parent’s Guide to Teen Depression, and Crisis Services and Resources for Teens with Depression and/or Suicidality.
- For more information and resources, visit https://www.universitycitynews.org/2020/06/27/uc-talks-with-mary-baker-ericzen-clinical-psychologist-about-mental-health/
- Public Schools: John Lee Evans, San Diego School Board President, talks about the reopening of our local schools and the many challenges to be faced. Evans was also one of the key organizers behind the SDUSD ImagineUC 2020 project for a new aquatic center at Standley Park, pavilion, jogging path, as improvements to the Spreckels and Standley school campuses.
- For more information and resources, visit https://www.universitycitynews.org/2020/06/22/uc-talks-with-john-lee-evans-president-of-the-san-diego-school-board/
- Faith Communities: Randall Tonini, UC Celebration Chair and Lead Pastor Grace City Church, talks about the hard decision to cancel the UC Celebration. But on a more positive note, he talks about the merge of two University City churches: Grace City and First Baptist Church. Randall also discusses how local churches are helping parishioners keep the faith during the COVID-19 pandemic by holding virtual services and meetings.
- For more information and resources, visit https://www.universitycitynews.org/2020/06/30/uc-talks-with-randall-tonini-founder-and-pastor-at-grace-city-church/
UC Talks is a hyper-local podcast that features conversations, interviews, and news of University City. UC Talks also includes readings of the University City newsletter. It’s managed by University City Community Association (UCCA) and made possible, in part, by a generous Community Enhancement Program grant from the County Board of Supervisors. The UC Talks host is newsletter editor Jemma Samala.
- YouTube – Watch and listen to recent interviews on UCCA’s YouTube channel at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCufqxSNHCsaXQ0lc81e4jFQ
- SoundCloud – Listen to all available podcasts on UCCA’s SoundCloud homepage at https://soundcloud.com/ucca-785209867
- UC Talks – For an up-to-date list of all Podcasts, go to https://www.universitycitynews.org/category/uc-talks-podcast/