➡️ Please note: The University City News website and print newsletter are free to read but are not free to produce and print and maintain. UCCA membership dues and advertising revenue help to make both the website and print newsletter possible. Membership dues also support many events, projects, and activities (such as the December Holiday Celebration) that make University City more than just a neighborhood.
➡️ Please join UCCA for 2023 at: https://www.universitycitynews.org/join-ucca-today/
December is here and there’s a lot going on in University City. The December 22/January 23 newsletter (PDF version) is now online and available to read, print, and share with family and friends. Print versions will be available at the University City Libraries and Recreation Centers as of Friday, December 2.
Let’s support our local businesses. UCCA urges all members to refer to the advertising section our of print newsletter for current promotions from our local advertisers. While you wait for your print copy, you can view, share, and download the PDF version: https://www.universitycitynews.org/ucca-newsletter-archives/
Join UCCA Today! Thank you if you have already joined or renewed for 2023. And if you haven’t yet, no worries. Please mail your check to UCCA with the membership form on page 14 of the December print newsletter; or go to Join UCCA Today and pay online with your credit or debit card.
Holiday Season starts now!
- Curie Community Fair at Curie Elementary School on Saturday, December 3: https://www.curiepta.org/post/curie-community-fair
- Dinner with Santa and Holiday Celebration at Standley Park on Friday, December 9: https://www.universitycitynews.org/2022/12/02/fri-dec-9-dinner-with-santa-and-holiday-celebration-return-to-standley-park/
For more Events News, visit: https://www.universitycitynews.org/category/events/
For Crime and Safety News, visit: https://www.universitycitynews.org/category/neighborhood-watch/
December 2022 Save the Date
Special Events and Programming:
- Saturday, December 3 – Curie Community Fair at Curie Elementary School: https://www.curiepta.org/post/curie-community-fair
- Friday, December 9 – Dinner with Santa and Holiday Celebration at Standley Park: https://www.universitycitynews.org/2022/11/17/fri-dec-9-save-the-date-for-dinner-with-santa-and-the-holiday-celebration-with-menorah-and-tree-lighting/
- Ongoing through Wednesday, December 14 – Toys for Tots at SDFD Fire Stations: https://san-diego-ca.toysfortots.org/
- Sunday, December 11 – People for a Clean UC community cleanup group: https://nextdoor.com/p/j8H5Xr5r4CHg?utm_source=share&extras=NzQ1MzYz
- Thursday, December 15 – Cookies with Santa at Nobel Recreation Center: https://www.sandiego.gov/park-and-recreation/centers/recctr/nobel
- Saturday, December 17 – Wreaths Across America at Miramar National Cemetery: https://www.universitycitynews.org/2022/11/14/register-today-volunteers-and-sponsors-needed-as-wreaths-across-america-returns-to-miramar-national-cemetery-on-december-17/
- Ongoing through Saturday, January 23 – Humanity Showers at North University Community Library: https://sandiego.librarymarket.com/event/onview-humanity-showers-jordan-verdin-17
Community Groups / meetings in December:
- Thu, Dec 8 – Standley Community Recreation Group – for meeting information and agenda, please contact the Recreation Center staff at 858-552-1652 or email@example.com
- Tue, Dec 13 and Jan 10 – UCPG Planning Group meets on the 2nd Tuesday of the month at 6 PM. The agenda and meeting information, when available, will be posted at: https://www.sandiego.gov/planning/community/profiles/university/agendas
- Wed, Dec 14 – UCCA Community Association will not host a public meeting in December. The next scheduled meeting of UCCA Community Association is Wednesday, January 11, at 6 PM. In December, we urge all to join us at the Dinner with Santa Holiday Celebration. Details at: https://www.universitycitynews.org/2022/11/17/fri-dec-9-save-the-date-for-dinner-with-santa-and-the-holiday-celebration-with-menorah-and-tree-lighting/
- Tue, Dec 20 – no CPUS Community Plan Update meeting. The next scheduled meeting of the CPUS Community Plan Update is Tuesday, January 17, 2023. The Plan University City website has been updated with information about the Community Plan Update. Take a look at https://www.planuniversity.org/
Winter Schedules begin at our Libraries, Parks, and Pools:
- Library – University Community and North University libraries monthly program schedules.
- University Community Library on Governor: https://www.sandiego.gov/public-library/locations/university-community-library
- North University Library on Judicial: https://www.sandiego.gov/public-library/locations/north-university-community-library
- Pools and Parks and Recreation Centers program schedules.
- Doyle Recreation Center: https://www.sandiego.gov/park-and-recreation/centers/recctr/doyle
- Nobel Recreation Center: https://www.sandiego.gov/park-and-recreation/centers/recctr/nobel
- Standley Recreation Center: https://www.sandiego.gov/park-and-recreation/centers/recctr/standley
- Standley Aquatic Center: https://www.sandiego.gov/pools/standley-aquatic-center
- Swanson Memorial Pool: https://www.sandiego.gov/pools/swanson-memorial-pool
- Ongoing as of October 20 – Construction and lane closures on Genesee Av in Clairemont: https://www.sandiego.gov/public-utilities/sustainability/pure-water-sd/phase-1-projects/university-city-eastgate-mall/morena-northern-pipeline-alignment-and-tunnels
- Ongoing as of October 24 – Construction and lane closures on Miramar Rd in Mira Mesa: https://www.sandiego.gov/public-utilities/sustainability/pure-water-sd/phase-1-projects/scripps-ranch-miramar/north-city-pure-water-pipeline-and-dechlorination-facility
- Coming soon – early 2023: Construction and land closures begin in University City on Genesee and Town Centre Drive: https://www.sandiego.gov/public-utilities/sustainability/pure-water-sd/phase-1-projects/university-city-eastgate-mall
January 2023 Save the Date
- Tue, Jan 10, at 6 PM – UCPG Planning Group – The agenda and meeting information, when available, will be posted at: https://www.sandiego.gov/planning/community/profiles/university/agendas
- Wed, Jan 11, at 6 PM – UCCA Community Association
- When available, the agenda will be posted at: https://www.universitycitynews.org/category/events/
- Contact us at: https://www.universitycitynews.org/contact-us-or-volunteer-in-uc/
- Tue, Jan 17 – CPUS Community Plan Update meeting. The Plan University City website has been updated with information about the Community Plan Update. Take a look at https://www.planuniversity.org/
Let’s Keep in Touch! Follow Us: