Oh, what a Summer this is going to be! It gets off to a fast start with the 5K run at the UC Celebration on the 4th of July at Standley Park. And that’s just the beginning. The all-day event also includes a community breakfast, a bike and pet parade, great food, community vendors and outreach booths, kids games and activities, an opportunity drawing for themed gift baskets, a book barn, snow-in-July play area, beer and wine garden, and entertainment throughout the day. The festivities close with a concert provided by local favorites 3 Car Garage.
Did you know that the UC Celebration is the biggest outdoor neighbor networking event in University City? We look forward to seeing you there. More information about the UC Celebration is available at UCCelebration.com and in the July/August newsletter.
The UC Celebration is just the start of Summer fun in University City. Events include:
- UC Celebration 4th of July: https://www.universitycitynews.org/uc-4th-of-july/
- Standley Aquatic Center and Swanson Pool hours and information: https://www.sandiego.gov/pools
- Summer Concerts return this year on Sunday evenings at 5 PM at Standley Park on July 10. Visit https://www.universitycitynews.org/summer-concerts-in-standley-park/
- Summer Movies in the Park return with Clifford the Big Red Dog at Doyle Park on Friday, July 8; Encanto at Village Park on Saturday, July 9; and Sing at Nobel Park on Friday, August 5. Visit https://www.universitycitynews.org/movies-in-the-park/
- Park Social Exploration Day (sponsored by Arts & Culture) on Saturday, July 16 at Standley Park. Visit https://www.universitycitynews.org/2022/06/23/new-artwork-in-town-tribute-to-paleteros-now-on-display-in-front-of-standley-park/
- Women’s Self Defense class at Nobel Park on Saturday July 23 and Saturday August 20; pre-registration and payment required. Visit https://www.sandiego.gov/park-and-recreation/centers/recctr/nobel
- The Banana Split Ice Cream Social returns to Standley Park on Saturday, August 6. Visit https://www.sandiego.gov/park-and-recreation/centers/recctr/standley
Community groups, public welcome, will continue meeting in July:
- UCPG Planning Group on Tuesday, July 12, at 6 PM. Agenda and meeting information, when available, will be posted at https://www.sandiego.gov/planning/community/profiles/university/agendas
- UCCA Community Association on Wednesday, July 13, at 6 PM. Agenda and meeting information, when available, will be posted at https://www.universitycitynews.org/category/events/
- CPUS Community Plan Update on Tuesday, July 19, at 6 PM. Agenda and meeting information, when available, will be posted at https://www.planuniversity.org/meetings
This month at our Libraries, Parks, and Pools:
- Summer Movies in the Park Summer Schedule: https://www.summermoviesinthepark.com/
- University Community and North University libraries monthly program schedules.
- University Community Library on Governor: https://www.sandiego.gov/public-library/locations/university-community-library
- North University Library on Judicial: https://www.sandiego.gov/public-library/locations/north-university-community-library
- Pools and Parks and Recreation Centers program schedules.
- Doyle Recreation Center: https://www.sandiego.gov/park-and-recreation/centers/recctr/doyle
- Nobel Recreation Center: https://www.sandiego.gov/park-and-recreation/centers/recctr/nobel
- Standley Recreation Center: https://www.sandiego.gov/park-and-recreation/centers/recctr/standley
- Swanson Memorial Pool: https://www.sandiego.gov/pools/swanson-memorial-pool
- Standley Aquatic Center: https://www.sandiego.gov/pools/standley-aquatic-center
Save the Date for:
- Volunteer Appreciation Night on Sunday, August 28, during the Summer Concert.
- First Day of School (SDUSD) on Monday, August 29.
- Labor Day on Monday, September 5.
- Date Meets ZIP 9/21/22 = 92122 on Wednesday, September 21.
- Miramar Air Show begins with practice day on September 22; show days September 23-25.
See also at Standley Park:
See also at Standley Park: