Hey University City; here’s a preview of this month’s community meetings:
- UCPG (Planning Group) on Tue, Jan 10 at 6 PM: universitycitynews.org/UCCA/UCPGJan23
- UCCA (Community Association) on Wed, Jan 12 at 6 PM: universitycitynews.org/UCCA/UCCAJan23
- CPUS (Plan Update): planuniversity.org/meetings
These are public meetings and all are welcome to attend. For more University City News, visit: universitycitynews.org/
From UCCA president Diane Ahern: It’s hard to believe that another year has come and gone. At UCCA we’re looking forward to collaborating with friends and neighbors and our new City Councilmember Kent Lee. The Planning Department expects to complete the Community Plan Update in 2023. We’ve already had a preview of things to come with the Pure Water construction on Genesee in Clairemont; construction will start soon on Genesee in University City.
Yes, there’s a lot going on in University City. UCCA is here to help keep you informed through our websites, print newsletters, and public meetings. See below for the January 2023 Save the Date Short List.
But first, please support our local Community Association. This month, I urge you to join UCCA (if you haven’t already done so). Thank you if you have already joined or renewed for 2023. And if you haven’t yet, no worries. You can join today; information available at: Join UCCA Today
- New Laws 2023 – New California laws for 2023: Housing, health care, public safety, criminal justice and more laws that go into effect in January
- Density & the Community Plan Update: SDUT: Can University City handle twice as many people, jobs and homes? What’s in the proposed community plan update?
- Christmas Tree Recycling – 🎄Recycle your Christmas Tree🎄; City announces Christmas Tree Recycling locations now open through January 23
Special Events and Programming:
- UC Garden Club on Saturday, January 7, at 2 PM. Katie Dunahoo will be hosting with Pieter Dorrestein returning as speaker as he discusses fruit tree pruning and grafting. We had such a huge interest in a follow-up from the event at his home, we asked Pieter to return. Pieter says this is the best time for fruit tree grafting. Please email Jemma Samala at email@example.com if you would like to attend so that we get a fairly accurate count.
- Humanity Showers at the North University Community Library: Ongoing through Saturday, January 23 – details at: https://sandiego.librarymarket.com/event/onview-humanity-showers-jordan-verdin-17
- Crafts for Kids at the North University Community Library – Project-In-A-Box: Gyroscopic Top: Saturday, January 28 at 2 p.m. STEAM program aimed at children in grades 6 to 12. Registration required at: https://sandiego.
- Crafts for Adults at the North University Community Library – Soap Making: Saturday, January 28 at 11:30 am. Minimum age for participation is 13. Registration required at: https://sandiego.
Community Group Meetings in January:
- Tue, Jan 10, at 6 PM, via Zoom – UCPG Planning Group
- When available, the agenda will be posted at: https://www.sandiego.gov/planning/community/profiles/university/agendas
- Contact Planning Group Chair Chris Nielsen at: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Wed, Jan 11, at 6 PM, via Zoom – UCCA Community Association
- When available, the agenda will be posted at: https://www.universitycitynews.org/category/events/
- Contact UCCA President at: UniversityCityNews@gmail.com
- CPUS Community Plan Update
- Mon, Jan 23, at 4: 30 PM – UC Cluster – University City cluster of San Diego Unified public schools
- The UC Cluster Committee has representatives from each of our 5 neighborhood schools including the principals, teachers, students and parents.
- For meeting information, please visit: https://www.uccluster.com/
- Thu, Jan 26 – Standley Community Recreation Group – for meeting information and agenda, please contact the Recreation Center staff at 858-552-1652 or email@example.com
January Schedules begin at our Libraries, Parks, and Pools:
- Libraries – University Community and North University libraries monthly program schedules. All programs are subject to change. Please contact library staff if you have any questions regarding an event.
- Winter Reading Program – From SDPL, it’s All the Feels, the Winter Reading Challenge 2023
- University Community Library on Governor: https://www.sandiego.gov/public-library/locations/university-community-library
- North University Library on Judicial: https://www.sandiego.gov/public-library/locations/north-university-community-library
- Pools and Parks and Recreation Centers program schedules.
- Doyle Recreation Center: https://www.sandiego.gov/park-and-recreation/centers/recctr/doyle
- Nobel Recreation Center: https://www.sandiego.gov/park-and-recreation/centers/recctr/nobel
- Standley Recreation Center: https://www.sandiego.gov/park-and-recreation/centers/recctr/standley
- Standley Aquatic Center: https://www.sandiego.gov/pools/standley-aquatic-center
- Swanson Memorial Pool: https://www.sandiego.gov/pools/swanson-memorial-pool
Pure Water Construction – University City Area
- Clairemont – Ongoing as of October 20 – Construction and lane closures on Genesee Av in Clairemont: https://www.sandiego.gov/public-utilities/sustainability/pure-water-sd/phase-1-projects/university-city-eastgate-mall/morena-northern-pipeline-alignment-and-tunnels
- Miramar Road – Ongoing as of October 24 – Construction and lane closures on Miramar Rd in Mira Mesa: https://www.sandiego.gov/public-utilities/sustainability/pure-water-sd/phase-1-projects/scripps-ranch-miramar/north-city-pure-water-pipeline-and-dechlorination-facility
- Marian Bear Park (San Clemente Canyon) – Parking Lot Closed as of December 21 – For the safety of the public, the Genesee Avenue parking lot at Marian Bear Park will be temporarily closed beginning Wednesday, Dec. 21 for the Morena Northern Pipelines & Tunnels project, part of Pure Water San Diego. Marian Bear Park & Trails are still open for use. Alternate parking can be located at 5233 Regents Road. Construction will be ongoing, and it is estimated the parking lot will reopen by August 31, 2023. For more information, visit: University City Construction Alert Dec. 20, 2022
- University City – early 2023: Construction and lane closures in University City will effect:
- Genesee Av, Nobel Dr, Towne Centre Dr, La Jolla Village Dr, Governor Dr, Excalibur Way, Executive Dr, and Judicial Dr.
- For more information: https://www.sandiego.gov/public-utilities/sustainability/pure-water-sd/phase-1-projects/university-city-eastgate-mall/morena-northern-pipeline-alignment-and-tunnels
- Construction for this project will primarily take place on weekdays at night from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m., except on Nobel Drive when construction will occur from 7 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Tunneling work will be 24/7 with adherence to noise requirements.
- What to Expect During Construction:
- Major intersections, such as Governor and Genesee; Genesee and Nobel; and Towne Centre Drive and La Jolla Village Drive, will be completed in stages so the intersections can remain open
- One lane of southbound traffic will be maintained on Genesee
- Access and terrain maintained for Rose Canyon trail
- One-way westbound traffic will be maintained on Nobel Drive during construction hours
- One lane in each direction will be maintained on Towne Centre Drive
- Access to Excalibur Way will be maintained throughout construction
- West of Judicial Drive, work will be on the westbound side of Executive Drive
- East of Judicial Drive, work will be on the eastbound side of Executive Drive
February Save the Date
- Library Master Plan listening session: Thursday, February 16 at 4:00 p.m. This is a a one-hour public meeting to listen to what our community wants in a library over the next 20 years. Details at: 2023 Library Master Plan Flyer UC
- Review the Library Master Plan: https://www.sandiego.gov/public-library/about-the-library/library-master-plan
- Take the Library Survey: https://surveyhero.com/c/SDPLP2LibraryCommunitySurvey
Let’s Keep in Touch and In-the-Know! Follow Us:
- UCCA community meeting: 2nd Wednesday at 6 PM, via Zoom
- Facebook: @UniversityCityCommunityAssociation
- Newsfeed / Website: UniversityCityNews.org
- NewsBreak: https://www.newsbreak.com/channels/university-city-news-519870
- Contact Us: https://www.universitycitynews.org/contact-us-or-volunteer-in-uc/
- Events News, visit: https://www.universitycitynews.org/category/events/
- Crime and Safety News, visit: https://www.universitycitynews.org/category/neighborhood-watch/
- Join UCCA Today! visit: https://www.universitycitynews.org/join-ucca-today/